Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. – 1 Corinthians 6:16
I wrote in an earlier article about God’s intention for sex. In that article, I wrote about how God ordained sex between a husband and wife for reproduction and pleasure. In this article, I want to discuss the consequences of fornication when sex is performed outside of marriage.
People have tried to make sex outside of marriage right. But God’s word says:
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death (Proverbs 14:12).
Fornication has caused a lot of problems in people’s lives. And no matter what people say, a lot of our problems stem from sexual immorality that includes sex between unmarried people.
Marriage is a commitment between a man and a woman to love and be there for each other for all of their lives. It’s a realization that one isn’t complete without the other and vows are made to stay together through the good and the bad times. A commitment such as marriage is permanent. Marriage is ordained by God and is brought together when the husband and wife come together sexually.
Fornication, sex before marriage, is a non-committal relationship that is forbidden by God. We should understand that anything done outside of the way God designed them to go is non-rewarding and a waste of time. So is fornication. Fornication leads to unrewarding situations, but marriage leads to the fulfillment of life through the love two people have for each other.
Let’s look at some of the emotional and physical consequences. (If you’re an adult and have had sex outside of marriage, you might agree with a few of these points:
- Most girls want to be loved by a boy who only sees them. They dream of having a handsome husband and maybe having children someday. Most girls are faced with pressure from the boy they think they love to show how much they love him by giving herself to him sexually. (I understand there are some forward girls tempting the boys also.) When they give in to the pressure and have sex, most of the time it doesn’t turn out the way they want it to.
- Sometimes the boy becomes uninterested in her because the curiosity has been satisfied, and eventually he moves on to his next conquest. This causes the girl’s heart to break because she has shared herself with him.
- The girl might start to think she isn’t good or pretty enough. She begins to feel angry and rejected.
- On the other hand, boys become possessive and may fly into a jealous rage if he thinks someone is trying to talk to his girlfriend. Some boys will physically and mentally abuse their girlfriend.
- If a baby is born out of a sexual relationship, usually the girl is left to take of the child without the support of the young father.
We always hear about HIV, AIDS, and other diseases that are transmitted by sexual intercourse. Now there’s a cancer-causing virus that can be transmitted as well. So as you can see there are consequences to involving yourself in fornication. There’s no fault in God’s plans, but there are faults in our actions. God knows what’s best for us. We only think we know.
These are just a few of the consequences. Look around you. I know you see plenty of consequences in your community. Then ask yourself; “Should I wait and live a drama and stress-free life?” Or should I take a chance and suffer the consequences of fornication.